May 31, 2011

Weekend Weather

Saturday's weather was a bit crazy. The weather forcast was predicting a thunder storm, but I wasn't holding my breath on it (they kind of make me feel that summer is actually here when we get thunderstorms, so I always look forward to them - although I get a bit scared). When I got up it wasn't raining (like it has been for a while now), and it was pretty bright out. I got to work making my stew in the slow cooker, but I didn't really think we'd want to eat it if the weather was going to be the way it was looking and not gloomy, like how you want it to be when you curl up with a bowl of stew. At 10am, the guy accross the alley was getting his race car all tuned up, I heared him driving around the block (the car's exhaust is pretty loud), then noticed that he parked the car in the garage.

A couple hours later, I hear this rumbling noise that shook the whole house. Lowie's eyes were big, and I could tell he wondered what was going on. At first I thought the guy accross the alley was working on his car again, but soon realized that it was the thunderstorm that was predicted that was rolling through. It got so dark in the house, and eerie. The thunder was SO incredably loud. I stood out on the front steps for a while with my phone, taking video. The one clap made my phone rattle and bumped it out of the video mode. (I have NO idea how to upload video to the blog, or else I might consider it!)

Justin got done work sometime around 5pm, and we decided to head out to the farm. We brought Brent's birthday present along to be able to give him (it's a holder for getting the branding irons hot that Justin made - and Brent was delighted to recieve). On the drive, we spotted some sunshine trying to break through of the clouds. It reminded me of the first drive that Justin and I ever went on; we went to Waterton, Sparwood, Elkford and then up Hwy 22. It had also been raining so much at that time too (we have big stretches of rainy weather yearly), and suddenly we saw the sun; I may have let out a squeal of delight also.

But as we were driving, we saw all the flooding. The Old Man River is over flowing it's banks (and I'm surprised the campground at the bottom of the coulees hasn't been evacuated), one stretch of it is covering a farmer's feild by Monarch. There was lots of water in the ditches of the roads and the driveway to the farm. When Dalton and I went to pick Heather up from the school (she had been playing a couple games of rugby in Medicine Hat), going back to the farm there was a side road that had water going over it; I imagine it won't be long before a section of it gets washed out. One of Brent's neighbours had a river running through their yard also. And the bad thing is, this is before much of the snow has melted in the mountains and has caused run-off and it's own flood damage.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails